Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Final Reflection Statement

I decided to write this reflection statement after class today because I am still very excited about the activity we did in class today. It seems like a very simple idea to have students interpret a poem, adding motions, phrasing, and expression, but it gives kids unlimited directions to go. As a college students, I found my group exciting to rework and tweak different parts of the poem. Even if students all interpreted the same poem, I highly doubt any of the interpretations would be exactly the same. Many of the poems in Love That Dog I had read before in high school, but by creating our own interpretations, they became more relateable and accessible to students. In addition to the activity today, I have really enjoyed all the activities we have done in class throughout the semester that can transfer directly to the classroom. Even the simple concept of "buzzing" with the person next to you to check in helps a lot. It gets ideas flowing before starting a group discussion. Buzzing also ensures that every student's voice is heard. Some students may not be comfortable talking in front of the whole class, but talking to just one person provides a certain comfort level. I have also enjoyed the actvity two statements and a question. If the discussion gets stuck, this activity is something to refer to in order to continue conversation.

Also, I agree with your assessment that somehow children's literature needs to incorporate some type of "pizazz" these days, especially when there are so many other forms of entertainment besides books taking children's time. Technology can help with that. I feel that you should definitely include Glogster again next semester when doing the Author/Poet/Illustrator study because I found it to have enormous potential in the classroom. Also, I noted that there is an Edu Glogster so that could directly apply to the classroom. I can envision social studies project, literature studies, all about me projects, etc. incorporating Glogster. I am now on the lookout for other fun, free sites like this that I can bring into the classroom.

I can also see the benefit in using a paired text set. Reading The Year of Impossible Goodbyes and So Far From the Bamboo Grove showed me how there are so many different historical perspectives. More than one view of history exists. A textbook is one type of information, but a textbook is hard for students to relate to. These novels allow students to connect emotionally to a text and really understand the time period. Novel studies can serve as crosscurricular activities for historical time periods. I feel a text set for any major period in history can be beneficial so students gain a well-rounded view of history.

I feel because of this class I have more of a sense of both the types of activities to complete with students and the types of books that I can include in the curriculum. I also think read-alouds can add to the classroom schedule because so many different books can be covered even if not every student has a copy of the book. I have especially enjoyed all of the novels we have read in this class. Of course, this blogging experience has really added to my knowledge of children's literature too. I never thought I would be a blogger, but 60+ posts later, I can say I am now among the blogging population. Will I contiunue blogging after this class? Just maybe...

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. I'm glad that the activities worked for you!

    ReplyDelete