Thursday, March 25, 2010

Harriet and the Roller Coaster, Written and Illustrated by Nancy Carlson

While I was wandering through the children's section at the public library, I came across Nancy Carlson, one of my favorite children's authors when I was young. I eagerly looked through her different books and found Harriet and the Roller Coaster. I don't know why, but ever sense I was a little kid, I have had this youthful love for amusement parks. Whether I actually go to one, see one in a movie, or read a book about it, I get excited and fall for the splendor of the amusement park experience. I enjoy the thrill. That is why I loved this book as a kid and found out I still love it as a young adult.

For their last day of school, Harrriet and her classmates go to an amusement park. In the days leading up to the field trip, George taunts Harriet, saying that she'll be to scared to go on the roller coaster. Harriet internalizes George's words and has trouble sleeping the night before the field trip. On the day of the field trip, both George and Harriet buy tickets for the roller coaster, and in a turn of events, it's George, not Harriet, who realizes he doesn't like roller coasters.

Although this is a simple story, it's full of colorful illustrations and fun-loving, good-natured characters. Nancy Carlson definitely has the likability factor working for her due to both her pictures and easy-flowing writing style. I especially liked the two-page spread of just the roller coaster itself. It's a high-thrill ride for sure with quick drops and multiple loops. For students who really enjoy this story, there are other books about Harriet's adventures.

Kids reading Harriet and the Roller Coaster may be able to guess the ending because it's common to have a plot focusing in on the main character's dilemma and then the main character proving herself/himself in the end. While reading, students could make predictions about what they think will happen. For the primary grades, this can also be an introductory story about peer pressure, the overcoming of fears, and courage. Students should be able to make connections with the story about a time whe they too felt scared and the process of what they did to overcome their fears. This story suggests that students need to be able to stand up for themselves, but also at the same time, they should be willing to try new (safe) things. You never know until you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment