Saturday, March 27, 2010

Year of Impossible Goodbyes by Sook Nyul Choi

Before reading this novel, I thought I had a fairly good grasp of World War II and its effects around the world. This novel proved me wrong. Sook Nyul Choi's compelling story transported me to Korea where I learned about her country's rich history along with the great sorrows and tribulations faced by people in Korea at this time. First the Japanese controlled Korea followed by Russia in North Korea following the war. There was that one glimmer of peace and happiness when neither Japan or Russia dominated Korea, but of course, that was short-lived. I love books that take me to a different time and place, and Sook Nyul's Choi writing did just that. I was 10-year-old Sookan living each moment with her, feeling her struggle, her fears, her determination, and most of all her enduring spirit.

Sookan surprised me by being wise beyond her years. She already felt such a strong devotion to her family and was the protector of her little brother, Inchun. As I read, I felt as though I was experiencing a story combining both a Korean Holocaust and the Underground Railroad. Every step along the way was an obstacle, every day a never-ending struggle. The sock factory, the high price of food, and the long days reminded me of the Jewish ghettos at this same time. That Japanese school also made me cringe. The constant reminders to be loyal to the Heavenly Emperor and empire along with the militaristic command of the school proved strenuous and damaging to the psyche. I can't imagine suffering through that as a 10-year-old.

The idea of group mentality also arose in this book as following the war, many North Koreans welcomed the Russians with open arms thinking that this time things would be different with the Russians. The Communist marches, the meetings, the wearing of red were really just new forms of a country suppressing and controlling Korea. Unfortunately, many Koreans didn't recognize Russia as another oppressor and succumbed to Russia's messages. Sookan's ability to see beyond the confines of the Russian message again showed the wisdom inside this 10-year-old. My emotions were stirred the most when Sookan and Inchun became separated from their mother on the escape trip to the south. Much like the days of the Underground Railroad during slavery, it's hard to know who to trust and even harder when you're that young. Without the help of the old man at the train station, I don't know what would have happened to the children. I feel as though a little luck or fate guided them. Their courage to move forward and continue their journey took dedication and heart.

I think too often in schools, we hear about the European version of World War II. Year of Impossible Goodbyes can open students' eyes to the impact of war around the world and also war's aftermath. To me, history is a combination of stories and a combination of perspectives. Everybody has their own history, and this story demonstrates this. The final scene of the children digging to freedom brings together every aspect of the book in terms of facing adversity, maintaining strength and resiliency, and preserving hope in oneself and the human spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment